Wednesday

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup



I know, I know,,,,2 soup recipes in a row. I can't help myself. I have so been digging soup for lunch lately, plus I've had 2 acorn squash sitting on my counter, just starring at me, for the last 2 weeks.

It was a must. And it turned out to be a delicious must that I will repeat, again and again.

I really enjoy the flavor of this soup. The pepper flakes and curry gave it a wonderful bite and the nutmeg added that little, somp-em somp-em!

Cut the squash in half and remove seeds.

Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cook for about an hour.

Roasted acorn squash,,,yum. You could eat them just like this if you wanted to.

Meanwhile, saute the onion with red pepper flakes and garlic. 
Then add your seasonings and chicken broth.

Once the squash is cool, the peeling will easily peel right off.

Add them to your soup

and just break them up with your spoon.

Here's what it looks like after its blended (or pureed).

I drizzled a little cream on the top. 
Total deliciousness!



Roasted Acorn Squash Soup

2 acorn squash
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion
Dash of red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
½ tsp sage
¼ tsp curry
Dash of fresh nutmeg
4 cups chicken broth
¼ cup cream
Salt and Pepper

Heat oven to 400*

Roast the squash by cutting in half, removing the seeds, drizzling with oil, salt and pepper, then placing cut side down in a pan and roasting for 50-60 minutes.

Heat up a large saucepan and add butter and oil. Saute the onion for several minutes or until translucent. Add red pepper flakes, garlic and bay leaf. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add bay leaf, sage, curry and nutmeg, then give it a good stir. Add broth and let simmer for 15 minutes.

Peel skin off cooled squash and add to the pot, and with your spoon, brake the squash up some. Partially cover pan and simmer 15 minutes.

With an immersion blender (food processor or blender-in batches), puree until desired consistency.

Add in ¼ cup cream and stir. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed. 

Note: I actually added a drizzle of honey, just to add a touch more of sweetness, because I didn't think my squash was sweet enough for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment