Saturday

Goat Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatballs

I've had a lot of different kinds of cheese in my fridge since Christmas, due to the fact that I won a couple of gift baskets, and I've been trying to find ways to use them up.



There was no way I wanted my Ile De France, Che'vre Fresh Goat Cheese, to have the same fate as the Gorgonzola, so I've been trying to get creative, without a lot of calories.

Well, this fit the bill. It was super delicious, easy and low in fat.

Here's what I did:

Once I had the turkey and seasonings mixed up, I formed it into golf ball size meatballs and placed them on a   foil lined baking sheet. With my finger, I made an indention about half way through and widened the opening slightly, then filled it with some goat cheese.

Once the meatballs where filled, I shaped them back up, kinda forming the turkey around the cheese some, to make them rounder, then drizzle with olive oil.

After the meatballs had baked in the oven, I nestled them into the chunky red sauce, I had prepared while they cooked.

Don't they look good? I served them with some Smashed Potatoes, 
which you can read a little bit about here.


Goat Cheese Stuffed Turkey Meatballs

1 lb ground turkey
1 egg
¼ cup milk
½ cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup onion, grated or minced fine
½ tsp Italian Seasoning
1 garlic clove, use microplane or mince fine
2-3 oz of goat cheese

Sauce

1 tbsp olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 oz cans of petite dice tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oven to 400.

Mix together all ingredients except the turkey and goat cheese. Add the turkey and combine until mixed. Form into golf ball size balls and place on a baking sheet. With your finger or the end of a wooden spoon, make an opening ½ way into the meatball, open up slightly, and stuff with a chunk of goat cheese. Slightly round the meat back up around the cheese and drizzle meatball with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes.

While the meatballs cook; heat up a skillet, large enough to hold meatballs in a single layer, with olive oil. Add chopped onion and red pepper flakes and sauté until softened, then add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add in diced tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes.

 Remove meatballs from the baking sheet and nestle into tomato sauce; simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Serve with Smashed Potatoes. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good. I'm having fun browsing your recipes. AND, I've just awarded you with something special on my recipe blog at www.countryatheartrecipes.com. Stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete