Wednesday

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Broccoli Cheese Soup is at the top of my list for favorite soups.
Right along with homemade Chicken Noodle, Taco Soup and good ole Vegetable.


I enjoy the extra little kick this soup gets by using Mexican Velveeta.



Easy, fast and totally yummy!

Linked with Weekend Potluck and Foodie Friday.
Pin It


Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 cups chicken broth
16 oz frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup fresh broccoli florets
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
16 oz Mexican Velveeta (or more if desired), cubed
1 carrot, grated

Heat oil in a large saucepan or small stockpot; add onions, pepper and bay leaf. Saute until vegetables start to soften. Add broth and broccoli; simmer until tender.

Make a slurry out of cornstarch and water (add more water if needed) and add to soup along with evaporated milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Add cheese and grated carrot; stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a Mexican Velveeta. I like a little zing in my soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try to make homemade Broccoli Cheese soup..it's one of my favorite also! This looks and sounds delicious and appears easy enough for me to do!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO - YUM! I recently made broccoli/cauliflower soup, using leftover veggies. I LOVE the 'kick of the Mexican cheese added to your recipe. Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck. We look forward to seeing more of your homey recipes like this one.

    ReplyDelete