Wednesday

Turkey Sausage and Black Bean Casserole

I thawed out a big thick top sirloin steak to have for supper. 
And once again, it didn't thaw completely.

Does that ever happen to anyone else? 
I always think I've taken it out in plenty of time and sometimes it thaws and sometimes it doesn't. 
Well, if I'm not the only one, this is a perfect back up.


The ingredients are some that most of us always have on hand, or I do anyway. Keeping a package of smoked sausage in my fridge has saved my arse, more times than I can remember.

Super fast to throw together and cook. I think it would be good with some corn added too.

I simply served it with a couple of warmed & rolled up tortilla shells, a dollop of fat free sour cream, fresh avocado and a few sliced cherry tomatoes. Delicious!

Linked with Sunflower Supper Club: Weekend Potluck and Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday.
Pin It


Turkey Sausage and Black Bean Casserole

2 tsp Olive Oil, divided use
14 oz. Smoked Turkey Sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin, rounded
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
1 cup Minute Rice
1 packet Sazon Goya – Con Culantro Y Achiote
1 cup low sodium chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
1 10 oz. can Rotel Tomatoes, Mild or Medium
1 15 oz. can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated, plus more for topping

Heat oven to 375*.

Brown sausage in a heated skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil; with a slotted spoon, remove to a bowl and reserve.

To the same skillet with 1 tsp more olive oil, onion and cumin; sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in rice and Sazon packet. Pour into a large bowl.

To the bowl, add water, Rotel, black beans, reserved sausage and cheese. Pour into oil sprayed 9x13 baking dish, cover with tin foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top with grated cheese. Continue baking 15-20 minutes more. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Note:  If you don't have Sazon packets on hand (it just gives it that little bit of extra umph), you could basically just add a little coriander and a touch of salt. 


4 comments:

  1. I think this is a terrific back up plan to the unthawed steak, whick BTW happens to me quite often. I love Rotel tomatoes, I toss them into all kinds of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful weeknight meal Andrea. I too keep a package of smoked sausage for those nights when my dinner plans don't go as planned! :) I'm printing and pinning this. This will be a perfect "we are back in school and now things are crazy again" meal! Thanks so much for sharing at the Weekend Potluck. Have a terrific week!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete